Stain Glass Windows
The Stain Glass Windows of the sanctuary were dedicated in 1901.
The fresco paintings that adorn the sanctuary walls and dome were painted in 1924 by an immigrant Herman Dinkler, whom Rev. J.G. Mueller had asked to come from Germany.
The bells in the tower date back to 1844 when they were purchased from the Buckeye Bell Foundry in Cincinnati. Each of the original bells were engraved with an inscription: Faith, Love and Hope. The smallest of the bells melted in the fire of 1899. It is believed that the bells in the tower today are the originals, the smallest being recast. All records were lost in the flood of 1913. The bells are played every Sunday prior to service.
The clock in the east tower was purchased from the Howard Clock Company of Boston before 1899 and restored and modernized periodically, the last being in 1999.
Significant Contributions to the Dayton Community
Miami Valley Hospital was founded by Rev. Carl Mueller, Pastor of St. John’s in 1890Patterson Co-Operative HS was the result of St. John’s starting evening classes in 1906 to enable all to better prepare for employment. Dr. W. R. Grunewald served the needs of German POWs interned at Wright Patterson AFB during WWII. The English as a Second Language School is managed by the Miami Valley CTC and meets during the week at St. John’s.